Hazard Identification Studies (HAZID)
HAZID (Hazard Identification) is a qualitative technique for the early identification of potential hazards and threats effecting people, the environment, assets or reputation. The major benefit of a HAZID study is to provide essential input to project development decisions.It is a means of identifying and describing HSE hazards and threats at the earliest practicable stage of a development or venture.
Objective of the study:
- To identify the potential hazards and to reduce the probability and consequences of an incident in site that would have a detrimental impact to the personnel plant, properties and environment.
Scope of study will depend on the particular project.
The study method is a combination of identification, analysis and brainstorming by the HAZID team members. Guidewords are used in order to identify possible potential and hazardous effects as well as threats. Furthermore the team analyses the appropriate controls that should put in place in order to prevent or control each identified threat.
The analysis of HAZID will be conducted on a session basis, grouping the processes with the PFD (Process Flow Diagram) and plant layout into a series of sections where the various sources will have similar characteristics and hence consequences.
HAZID Team:Assessment of risks is based on the consequences and likelihood
- Design consultant / Project Manager
- Production Manager
- Chemical engineer / Chemist
- Maintenance Manager
- Electrical Engineer
- Instrument Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
Role of Chola MS Risk in the HAZID study
- Facilitate/lead the team to carry out highly structured and systematic examination sessions
- Use of standard guide words and suitable simulation tool
- Control the discussion so that meaningful results are obtained
- Record the discussions and submit the report to the management
Benefits of Carrying out HAZID
- Identify opportunities for inherent safety
- Identify Fire, explosion, toxic release scenarios and measure to prevent it.
- Any special preparations required to be taken to handle these can be pre – planned.
- Any specific process modifications if required can be established at an early stage.
- Prepares the system & team, ready and confident to go ahead for commissioning. Avoids major surprises.
- Hazards involved in operating each equipments can be enlisted at the beginning, leading to better process mapping & better control in future to getting OSHAS / ISO approvals.
- The major benefit of HAZID is early identification and assessment of the critical health, safety and environmental hazards provides essential input to the project development decisions.