Lightning Protection Risk Assessment
Lightning Protection Study is highly site-specific, with many designs unique to individual facilities and structures. Mitigation of the effects of lightning strikes is attempted through the deployment of a combination of exterior and interior defences.
ObjectivesThe objectives of the lightning protection study is to
- Review the existing lightning protection system against national and international standards.
- Study of the maintenance aspects of the lightning protection system and suggest suitable corrective actions.
- Assess the Lightning Risk associated with the buildings or structures in the facility.
- Suggest suitable Lightning Protection System based on the Risk ascertained.
Scope of the studyThe lightning protection study would be based on the following national and international standards. The study would also include review of existing lightning protection installation in the plant.
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 780:2014
- Oil Industry Safety Directorate (OISD) 180
- IEC Standardon Lightning Protection (IEC 62305)
- American Petroleum Institute (API) RP 2003 -Lightning protection Standard